Thursday, April 12, 2007

Tonight, we grump...

You know the saying, "When Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"? Well, the atmosphere at my house tonight is a perfect illustration of that. I'm not usually a grump, but I've noticed that I tend to slip into full-on grouch mode when my husband, Captain Cantankerous, starts getting ready for his National Guard weekend each month. I think it triggers thoughts of when he was deployed to Iraq and, while I am very proud of him and his service to our country, I hurt so much every day that he was gone. It's not a fun time to remember, which is probably what gets me a-grumpin'.


The poor guy walked into the house after a long day of beating transmissions into submission and found his wife comfortably ensonced in front of the computer with a big scowl on her face. No, "Hi, Honey! How was your day?" He tried to make conversation and I replied in monosyllables. So he went and did his packing for the weekend and then came back to see how I was doing. Deja vu: I was still in front of the computer, still more liable to growl than purr.


So now he's offered to make dinner -- nothing fancy, just some kielbasa, green beans and some of the leftover potato salad I made for Easter -- and the guilty feeling I have over being such a stinker is starting to wrestle my grumpiness into submission. I think I'll go apologize and help him dish up...


Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: